Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cadbury?



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy52yueBX_s





I am going to attempt to critique the advertisement "Gorilla Drummer", by Cadbury.

The video starts off with a Phil Collins song, beginning with no drum beat, just synthesizers and lyrics. The audio starts off slow, but gradually builds. The video that accompanies it is composed of close up shots of a gorilla on a drum set. You can tell that the gorilla is emotionally attached to what he is about to do. The tension builds as these shots continue. I think this would have been a perfect time for the editor to slow down the video and make some slow motion shots. I think moving panoramic camera shots would have made this beginning sequence more emotional.
The camera shot then is zoomed out as the monkey bangs on the drums and the beat comes into the song. I almost feel like it took too long to get to this climax. It takes one whole minute to get to that point and I feel like some people would have lost their interest in it by then. You usually only have about 10 or 20 seconds to make a lasting impression. I do love when the drums come in though. There's a sense of "coolness" that hits you.
Lastly, I've been trying to figure out what this ad has to do with Cadbury Dairy Products. They flash their name at the end, but it's easy to forget because the ad does not utilize the product or company at all. Ads like this bother me. Yes, they are fun to watch, but you're not going to remember Cadbury here. You're going to remember a gorilla on a drum set. Over all effective ad? Probably not. It doesn't draw me to Cadbury eggs.

1 comment:

  1. I love the commercial but agree with you about the concept being a little disconnected. That sort of bugs me, but I like the gorilla playing an amazing song enough to outweigh it. :D

    ReplyDelete